We are the United Reformed Church in Oldham Town Centre
You can find us at 107 Union Street at the junction with Queen Street(opposite Gallery Oldham from where this picture was taken) The Church has no car parking facility of its own but there are plenty of car parks within easy reach (though, of course, these are not free) and on-street parking (pay and display except on Sundays and after 6pm)
The Revd David Ireland, has a long association with Union Street – a former Boys’ Brigade Captain, Elder and now non-stipendiary Minister. He is a family man with two daughters, a grand-daughter and grand-son. His wife is our resident florist.
The Revd R Wollaston is a stipendiary Minister serving Union Street and she is the newly appointed Oldham Town Centre Chaplaincy Coordinator.
Details of our service times can be found on the home page
The United Reformed Church
Our Church is part of the United Reformed Church, which was formed in October 1972 by the union of the Congregational Church in England and Wales and the Presbyterian Church of England now also includes the Churches of Christ and the Congregational Union of Scotland.
More information about the United Reformed Church can be found on its website. Visit it here
When celebrating our Church Anniversary, we have a number of dates to choose from. The church was founded in 1816 with 18 members from several of the neighbouring churches, but didn’t have a building of its own. The Queen Street Chapel was built in 1823, the current church building was built in 1855 and the Sunday School building in 1877. The Sunday School was the first in the country to use voluntary teachers following a decision that the Sunday teaching should be based on scripture and not the three R’s. The Sunday School building was demolished in the early 70’s and the land sold to finance extensions to the church building. The opening of the current church building on 17 October 1855 is now regarded as the anniversary date known as the Gift Weekend and a special service with a guest preacher is organised each year around this date.
Our people come from a variety of places in and around Oldham, and further afield (including Saddleworth, Shaw, Swinton and Failsworth) and from a variety of backgrounds (including Methodist, Baptist and Church of England). Some are from the original Union Street fellowship, others originate from Regent Street Congregational (closed 1967), Union Street Methodist (closed 1982) and King Street URC (closed 1995) and we have had memberships transferred from near and far (including London, Wales and Sierra Leone).
We have 9 Elders, including our Treasurer and Church Secretary and another 40 – 50 members and friends who worship with us regularly. Our youngest are a few months old and our oldest …. Well, that’s not for me to say!