We are the United Reformed Church in Oldham Town Centre
You can find us at 107 Union Street at the junction with Queen Street (opposite Gallery Oldham from where this picture was taken)
The Church has no car parking facility of its own but there are plenty of car parks within easy reach (though, of course, these are not free) and on-street parking (pay and display except on Sundays and after 6pm)
The Revd. David Ireland, has a long association with Union Street – a former Boys’ Brigade Captain, Elder and now non-stipendiary Minister. He is a family man with two daughters and his wife is our resident florist.
The Revd R Wollaston is a stipendiary Minister serving Union Street and she also works with the Oldham Town Centre Chaplaincy project.
Details of our service times can be found on the home page
Oldham and Tameside boroughs are situated on the north eastern edge of the Manchester conurbation, in the foothills of the Pennines and the Peak District. The URC churches in these boroughs are working together as a Missional Partnership in line with the agreed strategy of the North Western Synod.
The principles of the Partnership are that it:
- will develop its own ways of working, within an agreed framework;
- will be about relationships and mutual support;
- will become the focus of decision making regarding the priorities and resourcing of local ministry and mission.
When celebrating our Church Anniversary, we have a number of dates to choose from:
Queen Street Congregational Church was founded in 1816 with 18 members from several of the neighbouring churches, but didn’t have a building of its own.
The Queen Street Chapel was built in 1823, the current church building, designed by architect R Moffat Smith, was built in 1855 and opened for worship on 17 October 1855. This date is the focus for the church anniversary, known as the Gift Weekend, and a special service with a guest preacher is organised each year.
The Sunday School building was built in in 1877. The Sunday School was the first in the country to use voluntary teachers following a decision that the Sunday teaching should be based on scripture and not the three R’s. The Sunday School building was demolished in the early 70’s and the land sold to finance extensions to the church building.
In 2016 the churches bicentenary the building was put on the ‘at risk’ register. Thanks to money raised by National Lottery Players, reconstruction was carried out with the support of the Heritage Lottery Fund’s Grant for Places of Worship scheme.
Our people come from a variety of places in and around Oldham, and further afield (including Saddleworth, Shaw, Swinton and Failsworth, and from a variety of backgrounds (including Methodist, Baptist and Church of England). Some are from the original Union Street fellowship, others originate from Regent Street Congregational (closed 1967), Union Street Methodist (closed 1982) and King Street URC (closed 1995) and we have had memberships transferred from near and far (including Heyside, London, Wales and Sierra Leone).
We have 8 Elders, including our Treasurer and Church Secretary and another 40 – 50 members and friends who worship with us regularly. Our youngest are toddlers and our oldest …. well, that’s not for me to say!